The match was a complete reality check for us (Arsenal). Fans and pundits believed that this young Arsenal team is finally arrived and will challenge for trophies this season. But lackluster performance from the gunners yesterday proved that team still lacks something to be called as title contenders. One thing that frustrates me more than the defeat is how we ignored our one touch passing game play in big matches. Arsenal played a kind of direct football and Chelsea defenders read that well. If you are an Arsenal fan, you would know Arsenal play stunning football when they are winning the game comfortably. Why can’t they play that to win matches? Answer is lack of confidence. This team is quality but their mental strength is not up to the mark of the champions.
Reality check for Arsenal fans
Anyway lets discuss the positives (few) and negatives of the game for Arsenal,
- Arteta was brilliant as always. The Spaniard rarely loses the ball and who was the only Arsenal midfielder who played well yesterday.
- Jenkinson – May be he got bitten by some super radio active spider :P. After a poor last season, he is looking world class this season. His balanced attacking and defensive skills will help the gunners this season.
- Wenger’s fault for not starting Mertesacker who’s on good form. Why change the winning formula?
- I don’t agree when people moan about Walcott that he does not have a footballing brain. For me, It is Gervinho who lacks that. His one dimensional game disrupts Arsenal game play in most of the occasions.
- Chamberlain showed he is still inexperienced.
- Poor defending from Koscielny. His lack of concentration cost Gunners the first goal. He was busy guiding Chamberlain to cover Luiz and forgot all about Torres. In Football, first you have to do your job well and then you can help the team mates.
- Giroud – This guy’s performance will directly impact Arsenal this season. Missed a great chance to level the scores yesterday. He at least should have hit the target from that shot.
- Ramsey is still poor at controlling games from midfield.
- I think worst is Diaby got injured again by himself and I really thought his departure disrupted the balance of the team when Ramsey are forced to the middle.
Content courtesy : Steven Su (Arsenal fan)
If anybody interested in getting their opinions getting published, just mail us from Contact Us page.