When the transfer season is on, each day welcomes us to new surprises and sometimes it becomes hard for the fans and viewers to keep track of all the transfer related gossips. While some of the news certainly carries weight and an iota of truth, for others the imagination of the media is put to use. But whatever the origin may be, if the readers seem to be happy about this stuff, then there is no point sulking. It is extremely difficult for the fans to keep on their toes all week long and follow each news minutely. That is where we come in to provide them with a roundup of the most important transfer related news of the week.
The Sunday Mirror reports that Arsenal have already made a bid of £20m for the Manchester United striker who has expressed his desire to leave the club. Wenger is in dire need of a striker and Rooney may fit the bill of the club perfectly, albeit some reservations from certain quarters. If Wenger is successful in bringing Rooney to Arsenal this summer, it will be considered as a moral victory for the club, which have not seen a big money transfer in a long time. But the wage demands of Rooney, believed to be in the range of £250k, may pose a problem.
In an absolutely shocking rumor, Sunday People reveals that Wenger may try and bring Chelsea striker Fernando Torres to the Emirates to boost up the attack. The Blues forward was one of the premier strikers in the world during his Liverpool days, but after his big money transfer to Chelsea, he has not been able to repeat his success. But the previous season, he has shown some signs of regaining his old form and again posing the same threat that he once used to. With a new manager coming in at Chelsea, they may want to offload the player and Wenger may grasp the opportunity with both hands.
It is being reported that both Liverpool and Spurs are interested in the Aston Villa and the club has thus put out a value of £25m on the striker to scare off potential bidders. Both these teams need a striker this summer and they have targeted the young Belgian who proved to be a sensation with his side the previous season. Although the price may seem steep for a player with just one year of Premier League experience under his belt, but his class and talent may justify the fee and it should not disinterest the potential clubs.
‘This Is Anfield’ has reported that the Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder has already made a transfer to the Merseyside club, barring a medical and confirmation. The two clubs have agreed to a fee of £25m for the player and he has also agreed to personal terms with the club. Manager Brendan Rodgers has been chasing the talented playmaker for a long time now and his transfer would certainly be a huge achievement for the club. Some of the other top clubs of Europe like Borussia and Tottenham were also rumoured to be interested in the player, making his transfer to Liverpool even sweeter to the supporters. In the post Suarez era, he is believed to take up a main role in the attacking spree of the club and guide the club back to glory.
The Manchester City forward has completed a move to Seria A champions Juventus for a deal worth £10m. It is being seen as a great business conducted by the Italian side and many still fail to decipher the main reason for City’s wish to offload the striker. At Juventus he has been handed over the No. 10 jersey, sparking off a new controversy. This jersey was last worn by club legend Alessandro Del Piero.
The rumours surrounding Edinson Cavani are gaining the most momentum and now the rumours mills suggest that Cavani would be going through a medical at Chelsea in the next week. Mourinho has had the intention of bringing a striker to Chelsea and Cavani ranks high up in his preference. But it seems all these rumours involving him have made him unhappy and he is not pleased with a section of the media.
Here are some more gossips from today’s papers:
- Manchester City’s interest has switched from signing Uruguay international Cavani to bringing in 29-year-old Brazil attacker Fred, who plays for Fluminense, and Benfica forward Oscar Cardozo, 30. (Daily Mail)
- Villa have yet to receive a bid for out-of-favour forward Darren Bent, despite Newcastle, Fulham, Crystal Palace and Hull having been linked with the 29-year-old. (The Sun)
- Newcastle have said it would take £25m for them to sell midfielder Yohan Cabaye, 27, as they seek to fend off interest in the France international from Arsenal, Manchester united, Monaco and Paris St-Germain. (Daily Star)
- Yossi Benayoun’s agent says West Bromwich Albion are among several clubs interested in the 33-year-old midfielder, who is a free agent after being released by Chelsea. (Skysports)
- Wayne Rooney will seek assurances about his prospective role in the Manchester United team when he meets this week with manager David Moyes. (Telegraph)
- Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas says he will quit football management within a decade – and then take part in the Dakar Rally. (Sunday Mirror)
- Titus Bramble is wanted by Besiktas following his release from Sunderland. (The Sun)
- David De Gea is in line for a big pay rise as reward for his sparkling form at Manchester United last season. (The Sun)
Spurs are expected to complete the £17m signing of Paulinho this week. (Sunday Express)