The very first game this weekend will be Manchester United vs Norwich City. The Red Devils will be traveling to Carrow Road to take on against a struggling Norwich City. It is a must win game for both the sides, as 3 points for Manchester United will take them closer to the fourth place, and the 3 points for Norwich will give them a room to breath from the relegation battle.
Looking at both the clubs’ recent form, United have an upper hand as they have won 4 for their last 6 games and have lost just once. Norwich, on the other hand, have won just 2 of their last 6 games and have lost 3. United are currently 4 points behind their city rivals Manchester City and have a game in hand. Furthermore, Norwich are sitting 19th on the table, and also have a game in hand against the relegation rivals, Newcastle United. The last time these 2 side met, Norwich were able to defeat Manchester United at Old Trafford and grabbed all the three points.
Norwich vs Manchester United Team News-
Alexander Tettey and Timm Klose are the two key names ruled out for Norwich for the remainder of the season.
Alex Tettey is out of action since March with ankle ligament damage and Liverpool loanee Andre Wisdom and Ryan Bennett might also miss the game.
For Manchester United, aside from Luke Shaw and Bastian Schweinsteiger, manager Louis van Gaal has a full selection to choose from.
Pinto, Martin, Bassong, Olsson
Redmond, Howson, O’Neil, Brady
Fosu-Mensah; Smalling; Blind; Darmian
Mata; Carrick; Schneiderlin; Rooney; Martial
- Norwich City have won just one of their last seven Premier League matches at Carrow Road (W1 D2 L4).
- Manchester United have never lost home and away to a promoted side in the same Premier League season – Norwich won at Old Trafford back in December.
- The Canaries have lost five of their previous seven home Premier League games to Manchester United, winning the other two in April 2005 and November 2012.
- The Red Devils have won just two of their last 10 Premier League away games (W2 D3 L5), but those came against Man City and Liverpool.
- Louis van Gaal’s side have scored just four goals in their last six Premier League away matches.
- Juan Mata has scored more Premier League goals against Norwich City than any other opponent (4).
Norwich’s attack is usually built from the long diagonal passes from the center backs and on the other hand, their full backs charges into the opposition’s area. The side majorly depends on the aerial battles from the center backs and that is the reason they don’t dominate possession much often.
The central midfield duo, Gary O’Neil and Jonny Howson are responsible for the distribution of passes, but in the bigger games like these, the two are instructed to give a more defensive approach to the team.
January signing Steven Naismith is a threat for United’s defence. Though, he cannot win the aerial battles against Smalling, but he can manage to find a gap in the United’s defence.
A must win for both the sides, but I do see Manchester United winning the game and taking away all the three points at Carrow Road. Will be a tough task, but hey! Its Premier League, and not a single game is an easy one.
2-0 Manchester United